Short hair looks great, but we admit it is tricky for styling. To get you started with updos for short hair, we looked for guidance. These are the best updo for short hair step by step tutorials that grabbed our attention.
No matter if you’re looking for a pixie cut or popular lob – here you can find easy and stylish hairstyles that will hopefully give you some inspiration. Let’s get started.
Updo for Pixie Haircut Tutorial
Even women with super short hair need to get it in an updo sometimes. You can wear updos on elegant occasions or on your workdays. Short pixie haircuts might seem difficult to style, but this tutorial has definitely changed our minds.
- Start with hair that is already sprayed with a product that gives you texture and volume. Run through it with your fingers.
- Section the top part of your hair and clip it. It won’t need to be styled at the moment, so just leave it that way.
- The lower part of your hairstyle is probably layered and a bit harder to style. Start by twisting one section and pinning it with a bobby pin. Twist all sections of your hair and secure them.
- Now section that upper part that you have already clipped. Pin the sections into lower ones by simply making it look messy.
- Leave a few strands around the face and start with sectioning the last part. Use a comb to tease it just to add some volume.
- Start with the middle part of the section and pin it. Make the ends look like they are tucked in. Repeat with all other parts of the upper section. Pin and tuck the hair in.
- Finish off the hairstyle with hair spray that will keep everything in place.
Braided Updo for Short Hair Step by Step
Braided hairstyles are great for all occasions. Most of all, they are so easy to make. You can do this updo for short hair step by step or skip the first one – making casual waves with the iron.
- After doing or skipping doing your curls, you should apply texture spray. It will provide you with volume and texture.
- Leave two strands or your hair to frame your face. Then grab a hair just above your ear and start braiding a Dutch braid.
- Dutch braid might seem harder to achieve, but you need to gather the right amount of your hair. Once you reach the back of your head, secure the braid with an elastic. Repeat all the steps on the other side.
- Pull the braids a bit to make them look a bit voluminous and textured.
- Take each braid and bring it to the other side, and tuck them underneath. Secure with bobby pins.
Boho-Inspired Short Hair Updo
This hairstyle is boho-inspired yet very elegant. You can wear it at your wedding, recommend it to your bridesmaids, mother, or mother-in-law. It screams chic and glamour.
- You can use your second or third-day hair for this hairstyle. Make sure to make the curls in advance.
- Apply a texture spray and use your comb to tease the hair area around your crown. Dry shampoo will help you with getting volume without a lot of teasing.
- Section the hair about one inch back from your hairline. You can do it with your fingers. You can now determine how much hair you will leave around your face to frame it – it is really up to you.
- Gather the hair in the back in the low half-up half-down ponytail. Secure it with a clear elastic band. Pull out the hair, so it gets more volume and texture.
- Split the ponytail into two sections and twist them around themselves. Pull one side in to get more texture. Wrap it around the top of the elastic and secure it with bobby pins. Repeat with another section and wrap it around the bottom of the ponytail.
- Take the rest of your hair and gather it into a low ponytail. Create the hole in the middle of a ponytail and pull the ponytail through the top.
- Split the lower ponytail into two sections and gather them to the bun you have already made. Secure everything with bobby pins.
- Finish off the look with a hair spray and touch up the curls around your face.
Elegant and Romantic Low Chignon
We all need to learn how to make a low chignon. It is such a classy updo that requires minimal effort, yet the result is fantastic. It is one of those hairstyles suitable for special occasions, yet you can also wear them at work.
Let’s check out this elegant updo for short hair step by step guide.
- Begin with moving your part slightly over for more dramatic effect, as women in the video mentioned.
- Take a back section of your hair and tease to get more volume and texture. Take a small section at one side and tease it as well. Do the same on the other side. Use your comb to go through your hair lightly.
- Create a ponytail while combing very lightly. Secure it with an elastic.
- Make a Topsy tail by pulling your ponytail through the gap you made at the ponytail base.
- Use another elastic for the very end of your ponytail. Take the end of your ponytail and put it between the gap of your Topsy tail. Secure everything with bobby pins.
- Finish off the look by pulling out some of your hair around the face and at the crown to add more volume. Add some hair spray for keeping your hairstyle more secure.
Get Hair Tips to Your Inbox
We will send an email from time to time. Not too often. You will get ideas with inspirational haircuts and hairstyles, suggestions on choosing hair colors, as well as hair care tips, and advice on how to deal with hair problems.